Monday 2 May 2011

In Defence Of Our Dream

 mood: stuffed
listening to: kings and queens - 30 seconds to mars

So it was my godson's second birthday today and I went down to celebrate it with his family and gave him his gifts and everything else you do for a second birthday. After the presents were opened and the candles on the cake had been blown out for the second time (he cried 'again!' and started singing Happy Birthday to himself so we had to) we somehow got onto the discussion of jobs and careers. My views on things like University and jobs never seem to go down well with my family, as I am of the opinion that money does not matter as much as doing something you enjoy. I discussed how I will make my future decisions based around the question: Will this make me happy? My aunt simply laughed at my apart naivety and told me that the world wasn't like that. She said that I will most certainly end up doing a job I dislike simply because I 'get stuck'. She asked what would I do if I started a job,  but later discovered I hated it. The answered 'change' was apparently laughable.


We only have one life, and we spend so much of it working - why waste that time working at something you do not enjoy? I believe we should have the main aim of being happy in life, and base our lifestyles around that. Am I the only one who has this opinion of how we should live our lives or are there others out there who don't believe we should settle for unhappiness just because we get more money?

No comments:

Post a Comment